Tuesday, June 2, 2015

The Glass Castle: Forced Outside comfort zone

1) As Jeannette is growing up and learning new things about herself and the environment around her things start to appear different to her. For example, Billy Deel was Jeanette's neighbor in Battle Mountain. He was three years older than her. Jeannette talked about how early into their "friendship" or aqua intense Billy forced his company on Jeannette as he started referring to them as boyfriend and girlfriend. Jeanette repeatedly told him that this was not true nor did she want it to be. It was all playful until Billy started to pursue Jeanette more forcefully. He kissed Jeanette and when she tried to pull away he kept forcing himself upon her. She ran away and denied the situation. Jeannette became uncomfortable being in Billy's presence due to the fact that he pushed so far out of her comfort zone that she saw it as affecting her safety even though she didn't quite understand what was going on. Jeanette was only 7 years old. This experience, I think, taught Jeanette that it is okay to do "No" and sometimes you  have too. This also may have changed Jeanette's whole view of men in general as she realized that they aren't all innocent and worthy of forgiveness. 

2) Up until my freshman year of high school I attended catholic schools, located outside of my town. Each grade had a population of only about 25 or less students. I was comfortable in small groups, I had gotten used to it. In 9th grade there was about 200 students in the grade. I hadn't ever gone to public school, but knew some kids from youth sports. Going into the first day I was nervous and scared that I was going to be seen as the weird new girl. But I found that I rose to the occasion and discovered that I don't have to be shy and I don't have to hide in the crowd. I began making friends, speaking out on class, and embrassing my true personality. I was happy. By stepping out of my shell I found a person that I liked way more than the person I thought I had to be in order to fit in. High school isn't always easy but I've found that being yourself, your true self, can really make  a difference. That sounds cliche but it's true. Those first couple days I held myself back because I was nervous about people's opinions. But what I found was that being yourself and expressing yourself is much more rewarding than pretending to be, for me, quiet and shy because most of the time I am neither of these things. I'm happy that the people who care about me and are my friends have accepted me after I let myself out of my comfort zone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment